Home Page

Special Educational Needs

Who is responsible for children with special needs?

Our SENCO at The Meadows is Abi Lethbridge. The job of the SENCO is to look at how we provide needed support for children with particular needs. This might mean referring them to another agency, such as a speech therapist or the school nurse, or it might mean looking at what can be done to give them extra support in lessons.
If you need to make a meeting with Abi  please contact her via the school office.

Of course, other staff all deal with children with SEN on a regular basis: class teachers, teaching assistants, Karen Parker (Parent Support Advisor) and lunchtime rangers.


What are special needs?

At The Meadows, we classify special needs in four different categories:

School Watch Sometimes we have concerns that a child is not making progress. This may be for many reasons and sometimes this can clear up quickly. When we put children onto 'school watch' it means that we want to keep an eye on their progress. There may be extra measures put into place, if this is the case the class teacher will record them on a provision map.

School Action This means that the school is taking measures to help a child, within the school. This might mean extra support from a teaching assistant, a regular small group which focuses on a skill, books for a reading scheme or something different. We look at the child's needs and design the support around that, rather than fitting them into our system. A child placed on 'school action' may be given a provision map or an IEP.

School Action Plus This means that a child has a more serious level of need and that the school has sought support from an outside agency, such as an educational psychologist or speech therapist. Children on 'school action plus' are always given IEPs.

Statement This is the most serious level of need and means that the school receives extra funding from the Local Education Authority for a specific child. This may be because they have a disability or a serious learning need. Children who receive statements have had an in-depth assessment. Statements are reviewed annually. Children with statements will have IEPs relating to advice from other professionals.


What is an IEP?

IEP stands for Individual Education Plan. These plans are written taking into account the views of the teacher, parents and the child. An IEP has three targets for the child to work on. These targets should be small and achievable so that children make progress at their own pace. There is a space on the form to record a child's opinions, and a breakdown about what each target means.

Our usual IEP cycle is September to January, January to April, and April to July. Each time an IEP is written, a parent is invited to a meeting with the class teacher. At one of these meetings the old targets are reviewed and new ones decided. The targets could be about an academic area, a skill, behaviour or something else. An IEP meeting is a good time to share your concerns and queries with a class teacher. Both the IEP and the review should be signed by class teacher and parent.

IEPs are used as daily working documents and children with them may have a book where they work purely on their IEP targets. They will not receive other targets on top of them as we believe that this would be confusing for the child.

What is a provision map?

This is a list of bulletpointed actions, the highlighted ones are what a child is being given. If your child is thought to need one, you will be given a copy of a provision map and asked to sign a copy for our records.

If you have a specific concern about your child's special needs, please contact the class teacher or Abi Lethbridge.